Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dhobi Ghat - The movie

Went to Dhobi Ghat movie yesterday.....
My husband moved uneasily in his seat while I was immersed in the movie....
Its not a movie for everyone....not for ones who dont live in dreams, hope and destiny...
Its for people who treat "Mumbai" as their second love! - For me its the third, after my Husband and Hyderabad ;)

What I loved about the Movie:
The feel of Mumbai(Oh yes, I love that city for what it is!!)
Yasmin, the new bride and her story
The way Mumbai finds its way into their lives

Why I liked the Movie:
I have been to Mumbai for my summer internship and stayed there for about two months...
I have experieced a different sense of myself during those two months....
I was discovering myself through the short travels I made....to different places
There is a sense of magic and mystery in the city of Mumbai.....Mumbai meri Mehbooba toh nahi hai lekin mere liye ek Dost hai....
Though I have not been to the beach(into the water), the very view of beach was so relaxing....you watch it for too long and some sense ofturmoil grips ur heart and you wonder why!!! May be its the waves, may be the sound....may be the moon....but its there....
Though I like the characters and the way they evolved and emoted through....I like the way each of them see Mumbai in their own perspective....
I felt liberated and independent when I was in Mumbai....
I was learning a new way of life....
I guess I connect so well with the city as its fast paced and bustling with life, just like me ;)....

So many dreams....so much hope....but in the end, destiny takes over everything else....Cheers to Mumbai and to Dhobi Ghat for potraying Mumbai so beautifully.....

Signing Off,
Sahi

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) uve experienced that personal girl to city connection..wonderful!!

i think the 4 characters represent 4 different faces of the city...
their lives...seeking that connection...the peace and chaos in it...

theres a subtle undertone to the characters and the story...
that we have to read btw the lines to get ;)

Harika Korukonda said...

very well written...waiting to see the movie

Sahithi Paleti said...

@ Anonymous - I wish u wud have revealed your name!! Well said....
@Hari - please do, India ochhe munde chusesi raaa :)

RKD said...

hey Sahiti..nice to read this.. and you have explained it beautifully ..

This is the first time I am seeing Mumbai..so closely.. the beauty of Mumbai, the Dhobi ghat, the beach what not, everything is captured perfectly in the cameras..

I personally had loved the movie and did not sleep over the whole night because Yasmin's death has moved me alot.. It was that much that the movie touched me..

I was still waiting for something even after the lights were on towards the end of the movie..

but only later i realized that it is from 'Mumbai Diaries"

Sravanthi Palety said...

@sahi: its me sravanthi ur sis... :p
heheh...:D

did post my name...not sure how it got to anonymous mode...

Another IIT-M'ian said...

Reading through all ur articles.., couldnt stop after reading a few....TOTALLY AWESOME ... Keep posting !!!!!!!! Still lot of freshness and that child like..ness (Mind, I didnt say childish...) Amazing to read such a one...
:)

Keep posting.

Sahithi Paleti said...

@ Another IITM'ian - Thanks Max(IITM Lingo is still hanging around u see) for your comment :)....Glad that you enjoyed reading :D

Sahithi Paleti said...

@ Rajitha - I totally agree with you! the memories were haunting me even after the movie was over...Such is the impact for the ones who were immersed in it :D